Hi, my name’s Justin, and I’m a writer.
That really feels like the best place to begin introducing this blog. My writing problem is akin to a longtime functioning alcoholic’s drinking problem: I know it’s not healthy, but I don’t do anything to try to stop it. So, my posts here will be sort of like the beer chaser to the whiskey shot that is all the fiction/journalism stuff I do most of the rest of the time.
The Mission Statement for From a Brooklyn Basement (Catchy, right? Because I live in a basement in Brooklyn. Get it? Also, thanks to Biggie Smalls (Wow, also, who knew that http://yourdaughterstiedupinabrooklynbasement.com/ is a website about vegetarian Philly Cheesesteaks? I love the internet.)) is simple: I’m going to write about whatever I want whenever I want. The posts will come pretty regularly, but the thoughts, seeing as how they’re born in my head, will be pretty irregular. Some of the things I’ll be writing about include:
- Music, both the listening to and playing of it.
- Books, both celebrations of the ones I like and snarky takedowns of the ones I don’t.
- Other forms of pop culture, including TV shows and movies (much less of this, because I don’t have cable and kinda stopped going to movies a while ago. But you will be subjected to paeans to The Wire, even though it’s been off-air for like five years now.).
- My ongoing attempts at becoming a novelist, or a journalist, or really any sort of writer of repute.
- Eating and Drinking—places I like to do these things and adventures I have while doing the second one in particular.
- Sports, particularly those teams based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- My travels, in particular related to my frequent jumps from Brooklyn to San Francisco and back, but also my visits to places in-between.
- Observations from current events and my day-to-day life (I’ll try to keep the maudlin confessional stuff to a minimum, but if you know me, you know that stuff’s coming).
- Anything else I feel like.
Welcome to my brain: It’s a screwed up place—but hopefully one you’ll find amusing.
You must be logged in to post a comment.